CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

Thanksgiving was low key and quiet this year.   Talon, Garry and Taz went to the wards annual Turkey Bowl at 8am.  They got home about 11, all except Talon who went to another turkey bowl with friends after ours.  We only had the basics, turkey, homemade mashed potatoes, stuffing, homemade rolls and sweet potatoes (I had to eat them all by myself since Tanner is the only other one who eats them).  I made my traditional slush punch that my kids swear they'll kill me if I don't make it.  Cynjyn decorated the table really pretty with the china and fall centerpiece.  We were going to eat about three, but the turkey was done, so we ate at 1:00.  I bought an apple pie for Taz for dessert and a cheesecake sampler plate.  It was weird without Tanner and Mikel showed up late, and ate a little while we were having conversation around the table. 

We attempted to go to WalMart at 6:00pm for a pre black Friday sale.  I wanted some yarn and Garry wanted some videos.  It was crazy.  They had the parking lot partitioned off and traffic directors.  They had a line to enter the store and would only let small groups in as people left to keep the instore capacity under control  Here we are in the line just waiting to get in the store.  When we got in Garry left to find the videos and couldn't even find them in the store.  I found the yarn and surprisingly, there was no one there and I didn't have to fight anyone to get the colors I wanted.  They we saw that the checkout line wrapped around the store and figured the savings on the yarn wasn't worth that wait, so we fought our way through the crowds and left vowing never again.  We did go back late Saturday afternoon and I calmly got my yarn and we even found 10 videos still on sale and in stock!
I persuaded Garry to get my Christmas down on Saturday so I could get going on that.
I took down all of Thanksgiving and everything else and cleaned all the shelves and was ready to begin!

Taz was a big help this year.  Tanner usually gets the job of putting the tree's together.  But this year Taz was willing and ready to tackle the job.  He did ask if we could just wait for Tanner to get home, but when I assured him that wasn't possible, he jumped right in.  I warned him that he was going to get glittered in the process and might want to wear protective eye gear!  But he opted out of that.  After he put it up, he even decorated it for me!!  Cynjyn conveniently spent 4 hours "cleaning her room", but did come down a couple of times to laugh...I mean cheer him on!  He ended up helping me the rest of the day put everything up.  I think I'll keep him around!

2 comments:

Carol Swift said...

I don't think there's a bargain big enough for me to stand in those lines...that's crazy! Looks like you had a yummy Thanksgiving. :O)

Ronngwen said...

Avoid Black Fridays ! Most of the stuff is still on sale on Saturday! We enjoyed having Tanner for a few days (we played lots of games and K and B wore him out!!) Taz is a great helper! Cynjyn won't be laughing when they are both gone!! That's sad to think about, huh? We had 2 nice dinners Rob hosted ham, baked potatoes, corn, salad and roll, ending with 4pies for 5 people and snacks in the evening. It was nice. The next day we had turkey and prime rib at Krissy's house with no dessert, after we went to Catching Fire. Great movie!