CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Changes

In July right before Garry went to scout camp, we got a call from the Stake Executive Secretary saying the Stake President wanted to meet with us. We were both very curious as to what they would want with us as I had only been Primary President for a year and Garry was new to the scout master calling by a month. Garry got to scout camp and Brent Davis told him that the Stake President was interviewing some men and their wives from our ward as they were about to change out the Bishop. So, Garry and I went to that interview with that in mind. We were waiting on the couch as President Davie had another couple in his office at that time. When they were done, they walked out arm in arm and at that moment, Garry and I looked at each other and both had no doubt that we were looking at our next Bishop. The people coming out of that room were David and Jeanne Holland. The spirit bore witness to me at that moment that he would be our next Bishop.

Cut to this past Sunday. Trent Jenkins was released as Bishop after 7 years and David Holland was put in as our new bishop. I loved Trent. I think he's been a wonderful Bishop and he is a remarkable man raising a remarkable family. His presence as Bishop will be missed. I also think that Bishop Holland has all th qualities of a great Bishop. He's in approachable, loving, humble, funny etc. all of which a Bishop should be. Of course his father was there that day and spoke at the end of the meeting. He immediatly called himself to repentance saying that he had come to church that day just wanting to sit with his family and be the proud father watching his son be sustained as a bishop. He said that President Davie immediatly asked him to preside and say a few words at the end of our meeting. Now, Garry thinke we might be a little desensitized because we get visits from general authorities more often in our ward having two children of GA in our ward. The minute President Holland stood to speak, my tears started flowing freely as the Holy Ghost bore witness to me that I was in the presence of an Apostle of the Lord. I continued to cry for the rest of the meeting. I didn't feel desensitized at all. The beautiful thing about the words spoken by President Holland was that he spoke as a proud father that day and spoke from the heart as such. I thought both Dave and his father's talks were heartfelt and inspiring. I am so thankful for the Holy Ghost and those whisperings that help my testimony to continue to grow. I am also grateful that I am able to recognize those whisperings and fell peace from them.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

His talk was really special. We were out in the hall at the time, and as the Warm Springs ward members were coming out of their classes, they heard the voice over the speaker and just stopped to listen. It was the quietest the hall has ever been when one ward was leaving.

kc and k said...

You guys are so lucky to have GA visitors! Thanks for sharing.

Debbie said...

I have to agree with you on all of this it was great. I also felt that Elder Holland spoke as a father that day and it was nice to see that side of him. He is wonderful and Bishop Holland will be awesome. I am so excited.